Monday 27 August 2007

Lumberjack Pie

Spam

Spam is 70 this year. Not the nasty stuff you find in your mail box but the nasty stuff you find in a blue can. To celebrate and because I found a can in the cupboard, left over from a mad period of nostalgia shopping, I decided to invent a recipe. Colin has put up with my current health fad cooking for months, so I thought I would give him a treat. Lumberjack pie is the only food he reminisces about. A childhood dish, with the ingredients of beans, potatoes and chopped ham and pork (he thinks).



The invention

Empty a can of (organic) beans into a casserole, fold in the cubed (non organic) spam through the beans, sliced enough cooked home grown potatoes to cover the top of the dish and topped the lot with torn pieces of mozzarella cheese, then bake in a medium oven for forty minutes.

The result

Success, the original recipe had mash but the home grown new potatoes were lovely and the mozzarella made serving up a challenge, but the photo shows the proof of the success.


On a healthier note I also made a batch of yummy Rosewater Plum Compote. I picked this dish off my favourite recipe blog. http://www.101cookbooks.com/ Not being a great sweet fan, I have found this compote a good compromise for pudding loving guests. I serve it with a dollop of Greek yogurt and Greek honey drizzled on top
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Colin said...

Moira,
The lumberjack pie was braw!

Looking forward to our walk this weekend alomg the Southern Upland Way.

Colin